Sell Your Home Before the Competition – Home Selling Tips
Selling your home is a huge decision. It can be stressful and overwhelming. Working with the best real estate agents can smooth the transition and help you set yourself up for success as your sell your home.
Work with your agent. Your real estate agent can assist you in making critical decisions before listing your home for sale. He or she will help with pricing as well as advise you on which upgrades may be necessary and how best to show your home to prospective buyers.
Consider inexpensive upgrades. Simple, low-cost updates can increase your home’s sale price by tens of thousands of dollars. A few small investments before listing could benefit you in the long run. Things as simple as pressure washing your driveway, repainting a room or adding new cabinet handles will help your house appear clean and well-maintained as buyers tour your home.
Stage your home. Showing your home at its best is vital to attract prospective buyers and engage interest. Buyers decide if they want to buy a home in less than ten seconds. Spurring interest will increase your home’s sale price and shorten the time it sits on the market.
Depersonalize the decor. Potential buyers must be able to visualize themselves making your house their home. Generalizing your home decor will allow them to see your home as a blank slate. If they’re able to see themselves living there, they are more likely to purchase your house. Remove family photos, tchotchkes and any items that reveal your religious or artistic preferences. If you have a very strong individual style, tone it down.
Step away while your home is shown. Potential buyers become nervous when the owner of the home is around and are much less likely to tour the entire house. By stepping away, you allow the buyers to visualize themselves living there and fully discuss the home with their agent.
Clean your home room by room. Paying close attention to the details in every room will make your home stand out as a well- cared for and must-have property.
The kitchen can make or break a home sale. It’s the heart of a home and extra time should be spent setting up the kitchen to show well.
• Clean, clean, clean. The kitchen should be spotless when buyers come to see your home.
• Consider replacing old light fixtures.
• If your cabinets are older, add a fresh coat of paint in a neutral color.
• Make the kitchen bright and attractive.
• Remove any appliances or knick-knacks you may have on the counters. Clean counters make the kitchen look bigger.
• Organize your fridge and cabinet space. Organization gives potential buyers a feeling that the house was taken care of.
• Make small touchups. Adding new cabinet handles or replacing small fixtures can go a long way to making a kitchen look new.
A clean and tidy bathroom is the sign of a well-maintained home. Stains, odors and signs of uncleanliness are major turn-offs to buyers.
• Clean the counter, tub and toilet.
• Repair any dripping faucets.
• Remove any hard water or soap scum stains from toilets, sinks, bathtubs and showers.
• If the sink, shower or bathtub drains slowly, unclog it.
• Straighten up cabinets and closets and get rid of excess items.
• Store personal items in boxes with lids.
• Use air freshener to eliminate unpleasant smells.
When a prospective buyer steps out of his or her car and views your home, it’s their first impression.
• Paint or touch up your house if necessary.
• Keep the lawn and shrubs maintained.
• Consider pressure washing the driveway.
• Repaint the door and polish the handle.
• Add a wreath or decoration that accents the
overall style of your home
Walk around your home and critically examine anything that needs cleaning, replacing or updating.
• Wash the windows.
• If you’re repainting, stick to neutral colors.
• Replace any broken windows or screens.
• Ensure all windows open and close smoothly.
We offer the industry’s best in customer service, market knowledge, multi-channel integrated marketing and negotiating expertise seldom found within one real estate organization.
Sterling Realtors are industry experts and are passionate for customer service. Our agents are professionally licensed Realtors with current licenses, up-to-date continuing education and a strong grasp of the market and community.
We are readily available to answer your questions. Call us today at (480) 447-3553 or visit www.SterlingFineProperties.com.